Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancies between GA and GA addon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using the Google Analytics addon for Google Sheets and it can be very handy.  However, If I update the report by hand directly from GA and run the report automatically using the addon, the numbers do not match up.  I would understand small discrepancies due to some lag in reporting and perhaps some Bing reporting variances, but this seems too much.  I also don't think sampling is the issue since we are not talking huge amounts of data here.  I have double and triple checked that I am using the correct Profile, Segment, and goal and sampling level is set to high precision.  I still can't identify where my issue is.

Example:

May conversions by hand:

Bing - 14

Google - 28

May conversions using addon:

Bing - 9 

Google - 34

Yes, the totals are close but attributing the conversions to the correct source is important here.  Any help would be appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancies between GA and GA addon

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Shawn try taking the segmentation and goals out of the equation and see if your totals come back in line, if they do then look into your segment first as this is the most likely cause in my experience.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great advice, Brian. I'll give it a try

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I removed the segment from the Report Configuration and it did not help. I cannot remove the goal (conversions) since that is the main metric I am trying to discover. Anything else I might try?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Anybody have any idea why my numbers aren't lining up?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Shawn try using the add-on to check additional areas and compare them to doing it by hand. Also use a smaller data set so that sampling does not occur, no guarentee that sampling even set to the highest accuracy will return the same data time after time.