Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancies between Facebook Event Tracking and GA Event Tracking | Both based on same GTM trigger

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

I am tracking sign ups coming through my Facebook ads for my newsletter.

I have set up an Event Tracking "Sign Up" via Google Tag Manager and tracking the data on Google Analytics by filtering the "Source" and "Event Category" and checking the numbers of Unique Events and Users.

Additionally, I have set up a Facebook Event via GTM using exactly same triggers which I am using for Google.

When I compare the data using Custom Reports on GA and Facebook reports, I see that 49 users (50 Unique Events) have triggered the event on GA while Facebook reports say 57. As mentioned, both of event tracking is based on exactly same triggers on GTM.

The most interesting part of the story is that my FB ads have generated 57 in the reality making Facebook reports more accurate. 

1) Why is this discrepency? 

2) Should I set perhaps Goal instead of Event to get the data more accurate on Google Analytics as well?

Thanks,

Kutlu Taskin Tuna