Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Direct traffic - is Hootsuite being counted?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've recently inherited a new site and have noticed that the direct traffic levels are higher than we would have expected.

They do high levels of social (mainly Twitter), 1 monthly email and that's about it. Social should (in theory) be showing as their main source of traffic but instead Direct (none) is second to organic, which is making me think that social may not be getting tracked correctly.

They use Hootsuite to schedule posts - does GA count this as 'social' for reporting or should I be applying a filter or something similar?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Emma D
July 2016

Re: Direct traffic - is Hootsuite being counted?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Emma -

Do you know if any UTMs are being used to bucket social into its own channel? In order to 'mark' all traffic coming from social media, you would need to define it by using UTM parameters.

Usually, when you don't have UTM's in, it will report back on the referrer which in twitter case would either be t.co or twitter. It shouldn't be going through the direct channel. But look at referral path and / or hostname for the direct channel.

Cheers,
Tiaan

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Emma D
July 2016

Re: Direct traffic - is Hootsuite being counted?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Emma -

Do you know if any UTMs are being used to bucket social into its own channel? In order to 'mark' all traffic coming from social media, you would need to define it by using UTM parameters.

Usually, when you don't have UTM's in, it will report back on the referrer which in twitter case would either be t.co or twitter. It shouldn't be going through the direct channel. But look at referral path and / or hostname for the direct channel.

Cheers,
Tiaan