Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Direct Traffic: Segmenting and Filtering

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to deep dive into Direct Traffic. While we can always minimize that through correct tagging and other methods, what are some of the most powerful ways to segment direct traffic to get some idea about its source/behavior etc.The idea is to analyze better to get digital insights

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shashank,

I would say that it's good to analyze different days and hours and use this kind of custom report. I guess you're running different campaigns (maybe even offline) so it will give you some insights.

Here you can find a bunch of different custom reports as well that might help you.

I would also recommend analyzing Multi-Channel Funnels -> Top Conversion Paths report. If you'd like to learn more about direct traffic, take a look at this article.

Cheers,

Taavi

Re: Direct Traffic: Segmenting and Filtering

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the prompt response Taavi ! Interestingly., i was going through those two articles yesterday. However the custom report you linked might be useful.

Could you add your inputs as how that custom report would help get insights into direct traffic? Since it only has sessions, can we also add "users" or other metrics to get more insightful data?

We are trying to analyze the huge bucket of "direct" traffic that falls under the "www" channel, in particular. 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If you've launched new campaigns (online + offline), you should know the time when they were launched so it will give you some insights. 

If you started a Facebook campaign on Monday 9 AM and you got a lot of direct traffic between 9-11 AM, it's an indication that they might have heard about you thanks to this campaign.

To be honest, it's pretty hard to figure out the exact source of direct traffic because it can simply be a word of mouth marketing.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it helps @Shashank S.

Taavi