Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Direct Traffic Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ever since the beginning of July, I've seen an increase of Direct Traffic Visitors for some odd reason an increase of 500% and has stayed steady there.  The problem that I have is that I am sure it is bot traffic but I don't know where it's coming from.  We have not changed our site code or anything.  .  The reason why I believe it's bot traffic is because the bounce rate is always 100% with session times of 0:00:00.  Is there any way to figure out where this traffic is coming from or if it is Errors on Google?  It is killing my bounce rate and session time data.  Any ideas?  Has this happen to anyone?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: Direct Traffic Issues

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

It's referral spam. I manage a property where the same happened at the beginning of July. 100% bounce rate zero second direct visits to the home page. You can set up a segment to exclude these. Let me know if you need help with it.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

It's referral spam. I manage a property where the same happened at the beginning of July. 100% bounce rate zero second direct visits to the home page. You can set up a segment to exclude these. Let me know if you need help with it.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Arnold!

Thanks for the response! I would love to know how to exclude these please let me know. Also because it's just constantly spamming should I be blocking this on the server side? I am assuming that this kind of spam really messes with your site speed(not good for seo).  Also can this be a culprit for AdWords Fraud?

Thanks so much!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

The problem is that the spammers are sending the hits directly to GA using the measurement protocol without even visiting your site so you can't do anything server side. Initially they collect your UA id and domain name using bots and then they send the fake hits. You can set up the segment using the details below:

http://postimg.org/image/u1vxpl4q5/

This segment excludes the traffic that is most likely spam. Let me know if you need further help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Segments don't help eliminate the traffic from automated dashboard reports because those reports pull from all sessions. Do you know of a way to set up a filter so the traffic never hits the reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When I apply this filter and look at direct traffic for my home page, it shows a zero bounce rate now. that doesn't seem like the best solution. Am I missing something?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
If you want to set it up so that the spam never hits your reports you should consider creating a new view and do your filtering on that new view, you would need to do your filtering in the admin views section. Note that this new view will only start accumulating data as of the day it is created. Also note that as tempting as it is to want to add filters to your main view please refrain as this data should be kept raw, if you add any filters to it the data from that point forward that gets filtered will not be able to be retrieved. I dont have the URL but their is a Google support page that discribes the three views ata minimum that users should set up for each of their accounts, I have those three set and never delete them and I create additional views that run for a period of time that I am constantly updating and deleting as needed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good point Brian. I misspoke when I said filter, I meant segment.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Cool segments are good.