Analytics
4.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Dimension and Metric Detailed Definitions and Scopes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a comprehensive reference for Google Analytics dimensions and metrics that includes a detailed definition of what each dimension or metric means, and what its scope is (user, session, or hit-level).  

I'm aware of the Dimensions and Metrics Explorer, which is helpful, but some of their definitions don't fully explain the metric in my opinion (ex. Goal XX Starts: 

The total number of starts for the requested goal number -- this doesn't tell me anything about the metric...what is the definition of a start?)

Also, none of the dimensions and metrics in the explorer list the scope (user, session, or hit-level) of the dimension or metric.  It seems like it's up to me to a) deduce the scope myself logically or b) deduce the scope by going really low-level into the GA code, which I'd like to avoid.  

Any comprehensive reference resources would be greatly appreciated!  

Re: Dimension and Metric Detailed Definitions and Scopes

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks DSatino, that"s awesome! Anyone know where to find a similar chart detailing dimension scopes?

Also, still looking for more detailed definitions of dimensions and metrics than are given in the Dimensions and Metrics Explorer...

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
If you do find them, let me know.

Dimension and Metric Detailed Definitions and Scopes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm looking for exactly the same. Did you ever have any luck?