Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Dimension Metric Pairs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The Dimensions & Metrics Explorer page of Google talks about the dimensions and the metrics that are valid for those. However, it does not elaborate upon how to use the right dimension-metric(s) pair for custom reports.

For example, if i am looking for the users on a certain page, that is wrong since page should have hit level metric such as page view. 

So how do we know when to use sessions or users for reports where I want to know the numbers of users or sessions for a page.

Re: Dimension Metric Pairs

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I find that using segments is a good approach to reporting on dimensions of differing scopes. If you want to know the answer to "How many users viewed X page", or "In how many sessions was X page viewed?", you will need to create a custom segment and apply it to your report.

For example, create a segment that contains a page filter at a session level, such that it only includes sessions in which the specific page is visited. Then, open any sessions report and apply your segment.