Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Different user counts between web and API?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For some reason, I'm getting different user counts between the web dashboard and API (Tableau), even though there are no filters set and the date ranges are the same. And the difference is significant: 16%.

Also, when running a query in Query Explorer for just a total user count and then the user count broken down into user types (new vs. returning), the numbers are different. Shouldn't the sum of new and returning equal the value from the simple total query?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan H
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Never mind. Found the answer here: http://kb.tableau.com/articles/issue/google-analytics-numbers-not-same

I guess I just add to remove all of the dimensions (except Date) so that the data could be less aggregated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dan, 

I'm currently having the same problem when I export the data to Klipfolio through an API query, made in the Query Explorer. Did this issue got solved when you stopped using a time dimension? 

The problem is that I need to use a certain time periode, as our dashboard uses a dynamic date picker that shows only the data of that specific time period. Maybe you can clarify a bit what your next steps were? Thanks in advance!