Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Different Business Segments, Different UA, Same Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a client with multiple business segment websites rolled up under the same domain. It's a large, international company, and the business segments do not work together. 

Here is what I am looking to do/the situation.

toplevelclientsite.com redirects to toplevelclientsite.com.com/abc

I only work on toplevelclientsite.com/xyz (a segment under the umbrella company). Both sites/segments have different UA codes running. We would like to understand how much traffic they are getting from toplevelclientsite.com.com/abc and what these users do when they get there. 

I am having trouble identifying these visitors. Visits don't seem to come through as Referrals because they share a root domain. Additionally, I don't see any visits from /abc in the content portion of Analytics because the /abc site has a different UA code than the /xyz site.

Is my only hope to get cross domain tracking set up? Where else can I look?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Different Business Segments, Different UA, Same Domain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

some thoughts:
1. You can use event tracking to track when a user goes /abc <> /xyz - this info can later on be used in segments for reporting
2. You probably do not see the referral info as the referral exclusion list is set up to exclude your domain(s)
3. You could use a cross domain set up (a new rollup property which would collect all site variations) but you would still need some additional events to determine when a user skips from one site to another

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net