Analytics
4.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Difference in Pageviews when secondary dimension applied

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why would the All Pages report show higher total numbers of pageviews when Source/Medium is added as secondary dimension? This does not make any sense. If I'm looking at the All Pages report, the number of pageviews should stay the same, but just show the additional info of source/medium. Can someone please explain to me why this is?

Re: Difference in Pageviews when secondary dimension applied

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Brian,

Thanks for your post. It would help to get a before and after screengrab of the top row showing totals. Could you share that with us?

Also, if you look at the top right, underneath the date range picker, you'll see a square icon. That's where you can adjust the sampling of Google Analytics. If you set to the highest precision and repeat your secondary dimension, do you see any difference?

Ali

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I would agree with Ali - one-dimensional report that you see in All Pages report is precalculated by Google - that's why you have to wait couple hours for GA to update data in all of your reports. However when you add a second dimension the calculation has to be made in real-time. When your precision bar would be set to low you'll get results faster but they will be inaccurate. If you move it to the most precise calculations it will take longer but results should be the same (or very close) as in one-dimensional, standard report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ali, Thanks for replying so quickly. I've attempted to attach 3 screenshots, but this GA editor keeps marking them as INVALID HTML, with no reason why or how to fix it. Sorry. Hopefully, you can get what you need from the text below. Maybe we'll be lucky some day and Google will actually make something work, but I seriously doubt it.

I've captured 3 screenshots that show the adjusted data. First shows basic All Pages report with 2,608 pageviews. Second shows added second dimension of Source/Medium higher number of pageviews at 2,692. And Third screenshot shows adjusted to highest precision, yet now has lower number of pageviews at 2,516.

-Brian

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It all comes down to Sampling. When you add a secondary Dimension, the report has to has to be reprocessed and to balance speed with accuracy, Google Analytics uses the slide to determine the level of Precision. It usually tells you what % of session the data is based on and the closer you get to 100% the closer it will match the report without sampling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMYQJgaUxwA

If you reduce the number of days, it is possible to get the data to match. You would just need to export the data and then combine it in excel to get the true numbers for any given period of time.

Difference in Pageviews when secondary dimension applied

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've got a similar question from clients.   Why do pageviews increase when a secondary dimension like city is added?  Makes no sense if the total is say 500 but then I add a secondary dimension like "city or region" how do pageviews go up to 700+ when.  Should the total be the same?