Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Difference between sessions with a specific event and an event goal

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I want to track what's the percentage of sessions that click on our type-ahead suggestions when doing an internal search and I don't know which option to go for: do I use 'sessions with event' filtering only the type-ahead event or do I create an event goal with that same event? 

Does anyone know what the difference would be please?

Thanks and Regards. A

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I would do both.

If you create a filter which selects sessions that have used the option in question then you'll get exact numbers on how many types they used the function within the same session (if you report total events).

A goal, on the other hand, will only be triggered once in the session - no matter how many times they use the search function in that session.

So, if you're looking to analyse useage of the function then I'd recommend filtering or segmenting that event. If you want a simple answer regarding how many sessions used the function, at least once, then use goals.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Difference between sessions with a specific event and an event goal

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

These options seems to be similar. Note that you'll be able only to track % of sessions with specified clicks and the sessions with one and many clicks would fall into the same category. You'll need additional event report to see how many times suggestions were clicked

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John W,

Thanks for your answer. 

Apologies, I don't quite understand something (in bold) in your first paragraph: 'If you create a filter which selects sessions that have used the option in question then you'll get exact numbers on how many types they used the function within the same session (if you report total events).'

What do you mean by 'how many types' please?

Thanks and Best Regards, A

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

sorry, that should have been 'how many times' i.e total events versus unique events.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.