Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Difference between Organic Traffic Segment and Organic Keywords Report

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

To find organic sessions, I typically use Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels and look at Organic Search sessions OR sometimes I will use Acquisition > Campaigns > Organic Keywords.

I was speaking to a colleague the other day who doesn't use these methods at all and instead, he just applies the pre-selected "Organic Traffic" segment to the Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels report.

When we compared the metrics using these different methods, they were different. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know why using the Organic Traffic segment would return different session figures to the Organic sessions report?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Interesting question, and I reckon they should all give the same answer. Which one was different, and by how much? 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

we face the same issue. If i look at Channel and see Organic data, it shows ~25K sessions but I look at Segment it shows 35K sessions. Any major reason for the same?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott C
February 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

This may well be the result of sampling, which will kick in when you use a segment over any significantly long time-scale.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am pretty sure you're right.

I guess when you apply segments (in high traffic accounts), it applies the sampling in preparation to compare one data segment against another? So even if you only have one segment applied, that segment includes sampled data.

When I tested the Organic segment that I mentioned previously, I can see that it's based on 67% of sessions.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

In high volume accounts sampling will almost always kick in as soon as you use a segment over any significant date range. If you're not using Premium (360) then there are ways around this, which are described here:

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/24/solutions-google-analytics-sampling-problems-8-ways-data/...

Solution 8 in that article is a good one, when you are using session rather than user based metrics.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Excellent, thanks for this John.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

No worries - have fun!