Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Difference between GA Queries Report and Search Console analysis

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I've connected Google Analytics with Google Search Console in order to get the Search Query Report in Analytics. This works seemingly fine, I can see all the metrics in Analytics (I am just saying that because some users reported that they don't see anything).

However, the data in Analytics is different to the data in Search Console. To me this seems to be odd because I thought Google Analytics just gets the information from Search Console. I understand that Search Console filters the data, so that it is "more" in Analytics due to "not set". But I do not understand why I get more Impression regarding a certain keyword. Let's say I look for a specific keyword within a specific time frame, e.g. "build a house" 01.01.16-08.01.16. In Search Console I'll get 560 impressions and 120 clicks. In Analytics I'll get 2300 impressions and 120 clicks.

Can anyone explain this please? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lydia E
February 2016

Re: Difference between GA Queries Report and Search Console analysis

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I am very pleased to see this entry I have recently written a blog on the topic!

http://www.morevisibility.com/blogs/analytics/google-search-console-vs-google-analytics-seo-reportin...

The TLDR version of it is -

1.Google Search Console merges impressions if there is a single web property with multiple results on a page.
2.All Search types are rolled up in the GA integration.

If you want them to match up create a page filter that matches URLs not containing an string that cannot be matched "2938hrtr8347q" then you should see the metrics line up.

Extra fun fact: The GA integration gives you ALL keywords and not just the top 1000

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lydia E
February 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I am very pleased to see this entry I have recently written a blog on the topic!

http://www.morevisibility.com/blogs/analytics/google-search-console-vs-google-analytics-seo-reportin...

1.Google Search Console merges impressions if there is a single web property with multiple results on a page.

If you want them to match up create a page filter that matches URLs not containing an string that cannot be matched "2938hrtr8347q" then you should see the metrics line up.

Extra fun fact: The GA integration gives you ALL keywords and not just the top 1000

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jason,

thank you very much! That is REALLY helpful.

Since the link to your interesting blogpost about differences in Search Console and GA is broken, I want to share it again in case somebody else is interested.

Cheers

Lydi

@Jason B wrote: