Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Did Analytics change the way to handle Google images searches?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

One of the sites I'm monitoring receives a lot of traffic from image searches or images that appear in universal search results.

On Dec 12th, 2015, the bounce rate for these sessions went from around 30% the day before to around 87%. See screen shot below.

Did anybody notice similar bounces in the bounce rate? Did Google change something in the way that image search is handled?

Looking forward to your ideas!

2015-12-12 images.google bounce rate change.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Did Analytics change the way to handle Google images searches?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Frank,

There has indeed been a change in Google image search URLs. In Germany and France, for example, Google image-search URLs changed from

google.de/imgres -> images.google.de/imgres
google.fr/imgres -> images.google.fr/imgres

around 2015, Nov 17. Check out the "full referrer" dimension instead of "source". However, that's four weeks earlier. Therefore, I think it should have other reasons. Try to compare reports prior and after change to pin down what may had happened.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Christophe,

Thank you for your reply!

I am aware of the URL change, but as you say that happened weeks before the shift and it wouldn't be a reason why the bounce rate explodes.

Any other ideas? Do you know about an UX change with image searches or the way that Google/Analytics handels the requests?

Regards

Frank

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

Investigating further I realised that Dec 12th, 2016 is also the date where the source "images.google" makes its appearence in Analytic's Organic Search report (see screenshot).

Does this help anybody to understand what's going on?

2016-01-26_appearance image-google.jpg