Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Device category in data import

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if we can include device category in the data import ? I did try and GA gave me an error "Column header(s) ga:deviceCategory are not allowed."

I am importing campaign data from Bing via data import. I did some research online and saw that Google has updated the data deprecation policy and does'nt allow us to use ga:devicecategory.

Is there any way i can upload that data from Bing ? (There are online tool avaialble that automate the data import but i couldnt find any that will include the device category in it).

Thanks,

Navi

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Device category in data import

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Navi,

You can set anything you like (not PII !) as a custom dimension but doing it with campaign data via data import is probably impossible. If you can dynamically pass the information in the URL at the time of the click you could check for it and set the custom dimension dynamically in the GATC..

Is there some reason the GA device info is not adequate?

Regarding automation, I really can't speak to that as we custom code all of ours. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Device category in data import

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply Theo,

I was wondering if there is anyway to do it by data import, since in GA we can break down the cost analysis for adwords campaigns by device and see the impressions, clicks and other data. But for Bing currently we have to go to Bing Ads dashboards to get the data and manually integrate the data into an insightful report.

My team dont really wanna do any coding for this, since we gotta go thru some procedures when it comes to publishing the code. So we started using the cost data import and every week we just run a report and import it to GA and from there we get the consolidated data. Lately we are seeing some trends with the mobile devices hence the need.

Thanks again,
Best regards,
Navi