Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Detailed understanding the channel of sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a specific query about how GA would record the channel of a session.

The instances I am interested in are where the users session times out, after 30 mins of inactivity.  This is something I and many others frequently do, often leaving the browser open on a page.

If i then return to the browser later that day (after more than 30 mins), what channel would GA record that session against?  is the same as the channel I originally came to the site from (e.g. email) or would this be seen as direct?

Thanks

Neil

Re: Detailed understanding the channel of sessions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you close your browser and open the page again by typing the URL or using the bookmark after 30 mins of inactivity, then It'll be direct.

If you leave the browser open and become active again after 30 mins of inactivity, then it'll be the referrals from your domain.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick reply and this makes sense. Just dipped in to the data and looked at my referrals. I can't see anything that looks like our domain, even if I check the unfiltered view. Can you think of any reasons why that might be?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Did you try extending the time period in your reporting?

If you still don't see anything, then check the referral exclusions list in your property settings > Tracking Info > Referral exclusions list. Your own domain might be excluded via this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm looking over last 30 days, during which time we have had 13,000 referral sessions, from a total of just under 1 million sessions. So i can't believe there wouldn't be at least some instances in that time frame. I would expect this to be relatively common behaviour

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Have you checked the referral exclusions list in your property settings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thats it. Someone has excluded our domain. Thanks for your help!

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

No worries,does it solve the issue?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I haven't seen any data I could identify come through yet since I removed the domain exclusion. May be that I just need to be a little more patient and check again on Monday

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, I just found this on a google help page, so I don't think this is ever going to work.

"Google Analytics automatically excludes the domain associated with a property as a referral source, so you won’t see self-referrals in your Analytics reports."

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en