Analytics
3.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Destination goal completions and sessions that have seen that page not matching

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

I understand that a duplications of destination goal completions within the same session are not counted therefore 1 session can only be 1 completion. 

I don't understand why completions of a destination goal don't match sessions that have seen that same page (using a segment). I'm not talking about page views which could be duplicated but sessions and a goal that refers to sessions.

I'm getting: 11,102 destination completions and 11,166 sessions to the same page

Any ideas please? Very intrigued! 

Thanks and Regards, A.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
January

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @ACG what might have happened is that in subsequent sessions some other hit was sent with the Page dimension matched by your regex (not necessarily a pageview hit) which may have been included in the session yet if the PV has not been recorded Goal was not triggered. 

If you have time and patience to follow up you can try to narrow the segment even more and then use User Explorer report to evaluate user by user / session by session behavior. 

On the other hand - if you are reporting on a standard GA property / view - applying a segment on 1.6 mil sessions will sample your data so some strange things could start to appear - try reducing the time range so that the max number of total sessions is well below 500k sessions and try again - just to be sure. 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Re: Destination goal completions and sessions that have seen that page not matching

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You're right, Google Analytics Goals fire once per session per goal.

How does your segment look like that you created? Smiley Happy

I created this kind of segment in the Google Analytics Demo Account and it looks like everything works properly:

demo account.png

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Taavi

Re: Destination goal completions and sessions that have seen that page not matching

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Taavi Kalvi,

Thanks very much for sending your segment. If I amend it to include the relevant goal, sessions and goal completions match (see below):Example_segment.JPG

My original segment was Page matches regex (name of the page that is my destination goal). I had done it like this because I have created a custom metric that divides event goal completions/destination goal completions (since it's no use to me conversion rate from all sessions) and I wanted to ensure that the destination goal completions were correct. 

original_segment.JPG

Does it make sense? 

Thanks, A.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
January

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @ACG what might have happened is that in subsequent sessions some other hit was sent with the Page dimension matched by your regex (not necessarily a pageview hit) which may have been included in the session yet if the PV has not been recorded Goal was not triggered. 

If you have time and patience to follow up you can try to narrow the segment even more and then use User Explorer report to evaluate user by user / session by session behavior. 

On the other hand - if you are reporting on a standard GA property / view - applying a segment on 1.6 mil sessions will sample your data so some strange things could start to appear - try reducing the time range so that the max number of total sessions is well below 500k sessions and try again - just to be sure. 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net