Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Demographics for Individual Transaction IDs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, collective wisdom! 

I'm trying to connect user demographics (age, sex, location) to individual transaction IDs for a client in order to help them profile their different customer types. (We can see the number of transactions associated with a demographic in GA, but if I click an individual transaction ID and try to add any kind of demographic secondary dimension, the report zeros out.)

A Data Import that includes POS transaction IDs might be a way to pair GA data with demographic behavior, however I haven't been able to find information that can confirm or debunk the idea. Can anyone tell me whether this is possible? 

Thanks ahead of time for your insights! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Demographics for Individual Transaction IDs?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jen,

As you have discovered many dimensions are not available with the transaction id dimension. That said demographic data is available with custom dimensions. So, it's not as clean, but you can set custom dimensions and metrics for your transaction data and then use that as a secondary dimension or a flat custom report (or API call) to achieve the same thing.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Demographics for Individual Transaction IDs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

I am having the same issue as Jen and but not sure if I understand your answer.

When creating a new custom Dimension in GA this is the following it shows, here:

var dimensionValue = 'SOME_DIMENSION_VALUE';
ga('set', 'dimension1', dimensionValue);

I already have transaction ID dimension, but need to filter the data by Age. So do I need to create a new customer dimension?
I am looking at the custom dimensions support page of Google, but can't find anything, is very generic.

Thanks for your help beforehand