Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Definition of active users on mobile

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How does Google Analytics define an "Active User" on mobile (specifically on iOS)? Our app runs in the background, and I'm curious whether that would count as an active user (it shouldn't). I couldn't find any documentation of this.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Definition of active users on mobile

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
In order to be an active user a session needs to be started, so if your app runs in the background and does not spawn a session then it would not be counted as an active user until they use your app to access your website. However if the app is actively communicating with your website and this causes a session to begin then it would be considered an active user. So it depend on how your app functions, most apps do not actively interact with the website until some action is taken by the user of the app but they can be developed both ways.

Re: Definition of active users on mobile

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What defines "actively communicating with my website"? Is it just any network request? Is this documented anywhere?