Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Declining Organic Traffic but Increased Clicks and Impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm dealing with a traffic tracking issue in Analytics.

We set up a PPC campaign in early November, and the same day the PPC campaign went live, organic traffic immediately dropped 20 percent. At the same time, when I monitor the site in Webmaster Tools, clicks and impressions both increased at the same time the traffic dropped off.

Has anyone experienced this scenario before? What could it be, and if there's a problem, what's needed to resolve it?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Declining Organic Traffic but Increased Clicks and Impressions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Part of the issue maybe that you are advertising on your brand name and therefore cannibalising these organic visits.
John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Irene,

the only thing I could image here at the moment would be that your campaign settings (gclid auto-tagging in Google AdWords, others if other PPC) weren't been set correctly prior to your campaign in November and your PPC campaigns before (if there were any) may have erroneously been attributed to organic traffic.

Christoph

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Irene
This is exactly what GA is for Smiley Happy
It's up to you to figure out what's happening with your traffic.

Have a look at the intelligence reports, they're incredibly useful. Take a look at real time reports and perform a search and visit from organic yourself.
Check the referrer data and make sure there's no referrer or event spam.

When we take over a new GA account, we eliminate the spam using filters and a cookie drop and it can reduce traffic by up to 90%. But at least it's accurate then.

Another thing you can consider is that this might be completely normal. If the majority of your organic traffic was brand term traffic and you're running a PPC ad for the same branded terms, then it's more than likely that 20 percent or more of that traffic is now being taken by the ad now appearing ABOVE your organic listing.

Hope that gives you some ideas to get started.