Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Debugging Bounce Rate when Not consistent with Drop off

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having a what I think may be a problem.  My bounce rate is ~4%, which seems too good to be true given that the top landing pages have drop off rate around 50-60%.   My average time on page is okay (2:55) and average is 4.05 pages per visit.    Yesterday, to help debut,  added some event for scroll depth and a few spot check show more than 50% of hits has scroll depth >50% so they are looking around.    

Is it possible to have such a lo  bounce rate but a high drop off rate in the flow? 

Presuming the answer is not, my real question is really how to I debug the bounce rate?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Terry B
November 2015

Re: Debugging Bounce Rate when Not consistent with Drop off

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Terry,

I'm going to move your post to the Google Analytics section of the Community, since I think you'll get more relevant answers there than you will in the AdWords forum.

If your question is actually related to AdWords, please reply here and I can move it back for you.

Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Terry B
November 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Terry,

I'm going to move your post to the Google Analytics section of the Community, since I think you'll get more relevant answers there than you will in the AdWords forum.

If your question is actually related to AdWords, please reply here and I can move it back for you.

Cassie

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Terry,

you're right - something's going wrong in your data ... Try to screen all important Analytics dimension (= browse through the reports) and assess if you see these low bounce rates basically everywhere or if there are any single traffic sources that mess up your data. Look for geography, browser, OS, service provider, hostname, channels, referrals, social, campaigns, landing pages. Any clues?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Most sources are <3, except for google referrals which are about 60%. and many of the google international referals (e.g. google.com.ni) which are 50-100% (but < 3 actual visitors for the google international referals).

We are bit odd because we are a unique degree program so most of our access is either a referral from the main campus, direct access or google organic search (these 3 account for 80% of our traffic).

I am using NKgoogleanalytics on WP.. any chance that NK is doing something that could cause this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Following up on my own post.. looks like NKgoogleanalytics was the cuplrit.. it had inserting a tracking event. Yesterday I removed it so I could add scrolling-depth (so did the analytics by hand for a first day test) and bingo, yesterday/today I'm at 53% bounce rate (with about the same time on page), so it was just a tracking event messing up the bounce rate.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Terry,

thanks for bringing this up - that's the point. Events normally are counted as interactive and so enter bounce-rate calculations [1] . If you liked to use events without bounce-rate impact you may define them as being non-interactive [2] instead.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033068#Implementation
[2] https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events#non-interaction_even...