Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Data problem concerning top conversion path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear,

On my GA-account i receive data from my website. GA-snippet correctly installed. Besides that I utm tag every post, blog, ad inside social media by using the UTM shortener of Google and afterwards Bitly. 

But when I want to know the top conversions path of my goals (buying a ticket, e-mail subscription) I constantly receive as source referal and direct. 

How can I solve this? Are these below the options?
- Installation Google tag manager and create tags?

- Install inside google tag manager the facebook, linkedin, twitter and active campaign pixel?

- My data from facebook ad's aren't showing inside the source facebook in GA. My guess is, it is showing inside referal or direct traffic in GA. How can I solve this?
- Is there anything else I can do? 

Thank you for the help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author brechtfrissen
July 2016

Re: Data problem concerning top conversion path

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

this seems to be a technical issue where the original source of traffic gets lost inside the purchase process - this usually happens if you:
1) have a cross domain setup (google analytics is collecting on all domains inside one GA property) domainA > domainB > domainA where one of the domains is either not tagged or the implementation does not pass the _ga cookie information from one domain to the other
2) you would need to add all of the payment gateways inside the referral exclusion list (if these are the referrals which are reported inside GA)

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author brechtfrissen
July 2016

Re: Data problem concerning top conversion path

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

this seems to be a technical issue where the original source of traffic gets lost inside the purchase process - this usually happens if you:
1) have a cross domain setup (google analytics is collecting on all domains inside one GA property) domainA > domainB > domainA where one of the domains is either not tagged or the implementation does not pass the _ga cookie information from one domain to the other
2) you would need to add all of the payment gateways inside the referral exclusion list (if these are the referrals which are reported inside GA)

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net