Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Data not matching between pageviews and custom dimension

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

There is something that I don't understand. When I add a second dimension, the pageviews metric changes. Check this:

Captura de pantalla 2016-08-16 a las 1.32.49 p.m..pngCaptura de pantalla 2016-08-16 a las 1.32.01 p.m..png

I'm using the same date range, the same filter, the only difference is the second dimension in the report. The "ID de Formulario" dimension should match page path (is the same 201), but for some reason the pageview changes. Does it make sense?

This is the log for GA.

Captura de pantalla 2016-08-16 a las 1.38.05 p.m..png

It was implemented through GTM. 

Captura de pantalla 2016-08-16 a las 1.49.47 p.m..png

Thanks, 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Data not matching between pageviews and custom dimension

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You did not mention whether your custom dimension was hit scope or session scope (or user scope). That would make all the difference in the report. A hit scoped custom dimension would cause the report to drop all other pages in the sessions included. The custom dimension would only exist on the page it was set on, not all the rest of the pages in the session, so when you add the custom dimension to the report, all the other pageviews would be dropped because they did not have a value for that custom dimension.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It's hit scope. So the main idea behind that dimension is to count how many people start a form. We have another dimension for counting how many people complete it.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Just realized the total volume of page views is over 3 million. You are looking at sampled data. The more dimensions you add, the less useful the numbers become..and usually blatantly wrong. Shorten your time frame to involve less than 500,000 sessions if you can.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok, let's see. I tried adding "Device Category" dimension, for preventing an error in my custom dimension implementation.

3 days

Captura de pantalla 2016-08-18 a las 12.04.20 p.m..png    Captura de pantalla 2016-08-18 a las 12.02.30 p.m..png

2 Days

Captura de pantalla 2016-08-18 a las 12.04.04 p.m..png   Captura de pantalla 2016-08-18 a las 12.02.52 p.m..png

1 Day

Captura de pantalla 2016-08-18 a las 12.03.48 p.m..png   Captura de pantalla 2016-08-18 a las 12.03.11 p.m..png

Now I believe the problem is what you said before, the data volume. Based on last images, what do you think?

Thanks, 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You should also be seeing a yellow message above the report that states the data is sampled if it is.

Those numbers make more sense. Now what you see is a total without the custom dimension that is the same or larger than the total with the custom dimension. The difference is caused by entries that have no custom dimension value. Custom dimensions do not have a (not set) value.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't see that message, so probably it is not a sampled.

But, I'm confused again, because you said the problem could be the "(not set)" custom dimension values. But, I added "Device category" as second dimension, that is a standard dimension. If you see for 3 days, we have 113 pageviews (no second dimension) and 92 (second dimension).

Thanks,

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
....there is no such thing as '(not set)' for a custom dimension. If there is no value in the field, then the data does not appear in the report if you include the custom dimension.

In your example, 113 pageviews without the custom dimension - 92 with the custom dimension; that means there were 113 - 92 = 21 pageviews where the custom dimension had no value. Those 21 pageviews do not appear in the report because ONLY pageviews WITH a custom dimension are shown.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Sure, I understood we don't have "(not set)" values for custom dimensions. But, does it applied for "device category" that is default dimension from Analytics?

Thanks,

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Many of the built-in dimensions do not have a (not set) value. All of the Event dimensions, and Product dimensions, for example. It is rare to see a device category that does not have a value -- is it possible that those pageviews were created by a bot, or possibly they are 'virtual pageviews' created by a code snippet that did not provide all of the device information needed for Google to identify it (although I thought they defaulted to desktop if they couldn't tell)?