Analytics
7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Data discrepancy between Analytics and ad serving platform

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I have come across a discrepancy between the data pulled from an ad serving platform and what Google Analytics has provided.

I'm running an ad unit and have used a custom UTM GA clickthrough URL to track the clickthroughs in Google analytics. However, from date ranges 19th July to 29th July the clickthrough data for the ad unit from the ad serving platform is 13,065 but in Google Analytics it is showing 5,842 sessions.

I know there is a difference between Clicks vs Sessions but the amount is quite considerable.

Trying to find out where the discrepancy lies so any help would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Data discrepancy between Analytics and ad serving platform

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Andrew,

Typically if there's a discrepancy it should be more sessions than clicks since someone can create multiple sessions because of inactivity.

Can you explain further about the clickthrough URL you're using as well as how the platform measures clickthrough data?

Best,
- Josh
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Data discrepancy between Analytics and ad serving platform

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Josh,

I used GA URL builder in order to create custom campaign parameters for the clickthrough URL - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

The Zedo ad serving platform measures clickthrough data simply when a user clicks on the ad unit and goes through to the destination.

Zedo team have checked the click call flow noticed that on clicking the In-article ad the ZEDO Click URL and the custom utm Google Analytics url both fire correctly without any issue.

Thanks,
Andrew