Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Data discrepancies in Google analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I installed page analytics extension from chrome and notice inconsistencies between the data from the page analytics extension and that from Google analytics. On Google analytics I have set up two views - one with all spam filters enabled and excludes the admin etc. The other is the unfiltered view.

My site: http://www.thedeliciouscrescent.com/

In page analytics I checked pages where I had not visited and compared the data with Google analytics.

For example, for one post there are 6 page views recorded in Google analytics in the spam filter enabled view. And in page analytics the number reported is the same. However the average time spent recorded in Google analytics (filter enabled view) is "zero" and on page analytics it is 53 seconds and I can also see link clicks on the page.

On another page there are several views reported from a referral source but again with "zero" seconds.

Then there is one of my most popular posts which gets daily traffic and on that page it records several views with "zero" seconds.

1) How can I find the solution to this?

2) On another note, is there a way to exclude myself from page analytics reporting when I use that extension? (All of the numbers and pages in above paragraph though relate to pages I have not been on.)

3) How can I find the source of visits to a particular page? The referral source I mentioned above happened to be included but for other specific pages I don't know how to find the source of traffic. Is it possible to find the source?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Data discrepancies in Google analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

1) Time on page = 0 is kind of misleading.. if ppl are on that page and no other engagement hit takes place or they do not navigate to a different page, then the time on page will be 0 as there is no other hit after the initial pageview in order to measure how much time they are on that page.

You could set up some kind of scroll tracking to measure engagement and how much content on your pages is being read.
Following article has links to script needed for doing this and includes instructions for installation and setup both with using just Google Analytics or if you have Google Analytics setup via GTM

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/04/25/scroll-tracking-implement/

2) If your data is already tracked and part of the data within the View you are using the Page Analytics extension for, then afaik you cannot exclude it.
To prevent your visits from being tracked going forward in any of the reports, you can either create IP filters and add them to the applicable View(s)... 

or another alternative which is much easier, is to use the Da Vinci Tools - Hide Me functionality available from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/da-vinci-tools/pekljbkpgnpphbkgjbfgiiclemodfpen?hl=en-US
(developed by Stéphane Hamel)

It is as easy as using a button at the top of the interface for a particular Property and you will no longer be tracked

for that Property.

I tested this and your clicks made using the page analytics tool will also not be tracked.

davinci-hide.jpg

3) To see the source for a particular page, go to the Behaviour > Site Content > All pages report and add a Secondary Dimension of Source.. it will ad another column to the right of the page request URI and show you the sources for the pageviews

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much. I appreciate the time you have taken to write to me.

1) I am not too tech savvy and learning things as I go. Using google tag manager and learning how to do is my goal. I looked at the link from lunametrics, for enabling scroll tracking. Since I dont have much of a tech background it seems to me that figuring out google tag manager and using the tracking recipes through that would perhaps be best for me. I will work on that and once I am successful with that will update again on my progress.

2) Thanks for the da vinci tools chrome extension. I was able to install it.

In Google analytics, I have a view set up where my visits to my website are excluded. That view also has spam filters applied

Does the da vinci extension help with excluding me in the "page analytics" chrome extension data?

I tried it and I noticed that when I enable it then the google tag assistant registers some errors, which I assume happens because my visit is being excluded??

3) Thanks for the information for finding the source of page visits. It was helpful.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Roxana b :-)

Does the da vinci extension help with excluding me in the "page analytics" chrome extension data?

When i tested, clicks made via the page analytics tool did not show in the real time reports as being tracked.

I tried it and I noticed that when I enable it then the google tag assistant registers some errors, which I assume happens because my visit is being excluded??

Possibly, though dont quote me on that, as I have not spent enough time testing and using it to give a definitive answer to that.

Do the GTA errors go away again if you disable the tool?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you.

Yes the errors appear only when the da Vinci tool is enabled. I will explore further with the tool.