Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Data Discrepancy - UserID vs Non-User ID Views

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

The two views in my GA account for a mobile app property are:

1. All Mobile App Data View

2. Data via UserID View (since UserID feature is enabled) 

I've created custom reports to track UserID and understand the users, user type, mobile device info and sessions.

There seems to be a data mismatch in both the views. Here is how the data is being displayed for a particular date range: 

1. In the first view (All Mobile App Data) - report shows 'XXX' UserID had only 1 session with Samsung Mobile Device.
2. In the second view (UserID) - report shows 'XXX'UserID had 2 sessions with Samsung but different models.
3. There is a row reported with "ZERO" session for the same UserID.
4. UserID report is displaying only returning users, whereas the All mobile app data reports both New & Returning users.

Would be great if someone can help me out with this confusion. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shashank S
December 2016

Data Discrepancy - UserID vs Non-User ID Views

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 19
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi @shashank s

Yes I am quite sure, as long as your "Standard View" means all users to your website and app. 

"uid" parameter - leave it empty / do not fire it at all

Seb

View solution in original post

Data Discrepancy in two Views (All Data View vs UserID View)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Do you have the same GA account for your desktop page? As I understand you want to use UserID for your cross-device tracking? 

https://support.google.com/analytics/topic/6009743?hl=en&ref_topic=1007027

In your "1" and "2" - did you use "Mobile Device Model" dimension in both? 

3 - could you please add some more information? Also what other metrics you have included in your custom report? 

4 - maybe it's because you have just a few sessions that just happened to be "Returning"? 

Data Discrepancy in two Views (All Data View vs UserID View)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sebastian,

For the points 1 and 2: I am using "Mobile Device Info". 

Sorry for point 4 - Well, UserID is showing both New and Returning users. 

As you requested for more information, here you go with details: 

For both Standard & UserID views: I've created a custom report for 'User Details' with:

Dimensions: UserID, User Role, User Type, Hour & Mobile Device Info

Metrics: Sessions & Screen Views 

Scenario: Couple of days ago, I have accessed the mobile app as Anonymous user and a registered user (having UserID) from an iPhone and iPad at around 4PM. 

Now, the custom report for standard view shows: (For 4PM)

a. Anonymous as UserID, Mobile Device Info as Samsung Galaxy, User Type as New Visitor, Sessions as 1.

b. Registered User with correct UserID being displayed correctly. (2 rows, one for iPhone and one for iPad and both are returning visitors) 

The custom report for UserID view shows: (For 4PM)

a. Same rows with same details as mentioned above in Standard View. 

b. Here is the gap that I am unable to understand - Anonymous as UserID has two rows with User Type as Returning, Mobile Device Info as iPad and iPhone and sessions 1 for each. 

Questions:

- Why Anonymous user is not shown for iPad & iPhone in Standard View?

- Why extra two rows for Anonymous are being shown in UserID view?

I would want to know the critical difference between the results shown for both the views. Theoretically I understand, but when it comes to data, there is a mismatch. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Shashank

Data Discrepancy - Standard vs UserID Views

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Thanks for details. 

I couldn't find:

"User Role" - is it your custom dimension? If yes, how did you define it? 

"Anonymous" - is that a value you are getting in "User ID" column? I replicated a report and couldn't see any value like this

Thanks

Seb 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

User Role is a custom dimension. It reports - registered user with some UserID and non-registered user as Public user. 

Anonymous - Yes, I get it in UserID column. 

Let me know if you need any details further. 

Have a look at the questions - why there is a data mismatch between these two views?

Thanks,

Shashank

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Shashank Sharma,

Thank you! 

Did you turn on/off session unification? 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4574780?hl=en

You wrote:

Now, the custom report for standard view shows: (For 4PM)

(...)

b. Registered User with correct UserID being displayed correctly. (2 rows, one for iPhone and one for iPad and both are returning visitors) 

The custom report for UserID view shows: (For 4PM)

(...)

b. Here is the gap that I am unable to understand - Anonymous as UserID has two rows with User Type as Returning, Mobile Device Info as iPad and iPhone and sessions 1 for each.

So  it looks like in your "User ID" view you have only "Anonymous" users (no User ID value) :

- Anonymous from Samsung Galaxy 

- Anonymous from iPhone and iPad 

your total number of sessions is fine (3 in both)

I think there must be something wrong in User ID view settings. 

When you go here https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123666

"All reports in a User ID view display data from sessions in which a User ID is assigned and related data are sent to Analytics. Use a different view to see data from sessions in which a User ID is not sent to Analytics."

Which means that in your "User ID" view you shouldn't be able to see any data from sessions where User ID is not set - it's not a case in your example. 

Maybe it would be best to go through help center again to double check if everything is implemented fine? 

https://support.google.com/analytics/topic/6009743?hl=en&ref_topic=1007027

Hope it will give you some directions how to conduct your investigation! 

Seb

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Seb

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. 

Session unification is ON! 

Do you recommend me to create another view "Non UserID View" apart from the two views existing now (i.e. Standard and UserID views)? 

Please advise accurate approach to see right data in the respective views accurately. 

Thanks in advance! 

Cheers,

Shashank

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Shashank Sharma

No problem 

Maybe let's check the implementation. 

Can you see "uid" parameter being populated once user log in?

Seb

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Seb,

Are you asking about uid parameter population in GA? If so, yes! 

In Reports > Audience > Overview, the "Users" count in the Standard View is more than the User ID view. There is huge difference - why? 

Many thanks!! 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Actually I was thinking about "uid" parameter in your pageviews / event hits sent to GA after user log-in (you can check it on Chrome Dev Console or Tag Assistant plugin for Chrome). However if you see GA populated with those already it should be fine.

Standard view always will have different number of total users. On "User ID" you have only those who identified, whereas on Standard you have all users.

Seb