AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Dashboard can't build widget by sessions with visits to exact page

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello. I'm trying to build dashboard that would show me sessions and users with visits to all th epages, containing "www.veeam.com/veeamon".
So I'm setting up such conditions for widget - http://prntscr.com/dxl3mb (www.veeam.com/veeamon for page filter)

And in result I get different data for sessions in users, showing that we had more users, than sessions (which is impossible) - http://prntscr.com/dxl4aa

What is more, when I apply segment with the same condition for my data - http://prntscr.com/dxl6h2, everything seems to work fine - http://prntscr.com/dxl6se

Users in dashboard correlate with users in segmented "Audience" report. But sessions show huge difference.

Could you help me to figure this out, please? Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anna A
January 2017

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

As a partial solution you can use unfiltered data in your dashboard and then apply a segment to them

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, Anna

Dashboards seems to filter pages in a 'specific' way. I've tried to reproduce your problem and combine different data and it seems to me that Session in Dashboard filtered with 'page' condition shown the number of sessions were those pages were landing pages.

Wouldn't you mind to check it across your data?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anna A
January 2017

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

As a partial solution you can use unfiltered data in your dashboard and then apply a segment to them

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Anna,

I posted something in here a few minutes ago but it got deleted somehow. The difference between your 2 scenarios is that filters apply at the hit level where segments are applied at the session/user level. 

The filter is essentially telling you how many sessions were on that specific page, which corresponds with entrances (how many times www.veeam.com/veeamon was the first page of a session). The segment brings back how many sessions saw that specific page at any given time, which seems to be what you're actually looking for. 

To use this in the dashboard without having to apply segments all the time, switch out Sessions for Unique Pageviews. Note that this won't be very accurate if you have a ton of traffic seeing different variations of www.veeam.com/veeamon since Unique Pageviews are not deduplicated for a group of pages (Google will aggregate Unique Pageviews of each version even if they occurred within the same visit).

To summarize, if the majority of traffic see exactly www.veeam.com/veeamon (as shown in GA), you'll be fine using Unique Pageviews to answer "How many sessions made it to this page."

Best,

Mike

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Following @Mike x 's comment, 
You can use dashboard Unique Pageviews metric with filter page exactly matching "www.veeam.com/veeamon"  will give you exact numbers of sessions that included your views of your page www.veeam.com/veeamon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks. Yes, I tried to apply Unique Pageviews, bur this gives not accurate data.

I think I will pick an option with applying segment to unfiltered dashboard.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, it seems to be the best option.