Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom segment problems with isolating specific pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

I have tried both regex and or rule to include only two specific landing pages for a report I need to link up with Raven tools - the only way of drilling down into this data is by applying segments when in the reporting tool. Basically, after removing all referral spam, I need to report on traffic ONLY to pages that contain 'member' in the URL.

Here is how I have set this up. It all looks fine, until I go into the Channels report and add page as a secondary dimension.

[censored]... why are there other pages in here that don't include 'member'? I am baffled! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Victoria!  Love you comments, had me LOL'ing.  Smiley Happy

So first.. in your segment you've chosen page rather than landing page as the dimension.  Second, when you go to your content reports, or pull in page as a secondary dimension you will get the "member" pages and any other pages the user touched in session as you are creating a session based segment.  If you only want those pages in your content report, then you can apply a filter after applying the segment.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Custom segment problems with isolating specific pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Many thanks for your response! Totally makes sense.

Setting the segment to include on landing page totally worked, but the client wanted to see all times that the user had visited these pages rather than just when they had landed on them, which from what you have described is not going to be possible as it will also display any other pages that user touched en route.

I think I'm going to go back to the client and say we can either do a funky report using a custom segment (that's the only way I can pull the data into Raven Tools) - but it will only report on landing pages.

Or I can knock up a dead basic custom report that uses page as a dimension and as the filter (I think that will work as it seems to behave in the same was as the advanced search function does) but will only be able to include it in the report as a crappy looking table as Raven Tools cannot import custom reports...sigh.

Who doesn't love report week? Smiley Indifferent

Thanks for your help!

Vic

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Vic,

Yes, love report time -  We've automated ours Smiley Happy  Regarding Landing Page Vs. Page; use whichever you need.  You can, as you say, do an advanced table filter and filter for the "member" pages and that should clean it up and give you what you want.

Cheers,

Theo 

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn