Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom reports showing varying session totals

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All

Hope someone can help

I needed to create custom reports for my various sections of my website and I'm noticing varying session totals between reports.

I created one for all sessions in a particular section of the site and have a total of 8,298 and then I created one for User Type (for the same site section) and the sessions are totaling to 8,374

What's with the difference. Is there an easy way to explain this to the client?

D

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom reports showing varying session totals

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Dennis keep in mind that GA in most cases does sampling so even the same report with all things being equal can give different counts from day to day. One way to check this is to set your time spane to a single day unless your site gets a large number of hits in a single day you may be able to balance the two reports. Another thing to try is to make sure your session control is set to the highest precision for both reports. Finaly make sure that you are using the same filters for each report. But again most issues like this is related to the sampling of data by GA.