Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom reports not always delivered

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have some custom reports scheduled to be emailed daily. There are four reports, and most days all four reports are delivered without issue.

Occasionally, there will be a day where not all of the reports are emailed. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? How can I prevent it from happening in the future? I haven't yet had a day where none of the reports were delivered. It is about once a monther where I only get 1-3 of the 4 reports that are supposed to come through. Subsequent days seem to work fine without any intervention on my part, and then again it randomly fails in at a future time.

Thanks,

Jared

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom reports not always delivered

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Jared,

You can only view one half of the picture and that is what happens inside your email server so if you have access to your email servers log files parse those files to see if the report is being delivered and if they are what is happening to them once they hit your email server they could be rejected by some processing rules or they may get delivered to your inbox and some rule there deletes, rejects or adds them to the spam folder. By default I believe the emailed reports are only valid for 6 months so if it has been longer than that time period you may have to ask for them to be resent. Other than that I have had no issues with getting reports emailed to me on a regular basis.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks.

It looks like the messages are being sent, they just aren't ending up in the Inbox (marked as Spam). I'm not sure why these few messages are being considered Spam, but that seems more likely to be an issue with my email provided than Google Analytics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi folks,

I'm having this problem again, but now the messages aren't being marked as Spam. They don't seem to exist anywhere. I've contacted my email provider to see if they have any insight.

The scheduled emails are not expired. Has anyone else had any problems with scheduled email delivery in the past two days?

Thanks,
Jared

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Jared I set up a daily email of a report and so far it has come in every day for the last 2 weeks. It usually comes in around 13:30 but at times it has been as early as 11:45 or as late as 14:20 but in every case it has come in during that window every day.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm. I talked with my mail provider and they said "There are no failed messages coming from this user as well."

The messages appeared today which is great, but now I've noticed two other problems.

1: Today, the file name of the attached report changes (was "This is my file_Country.tsv" is now "Thisismyfile_Country.tsv"); not sure why the spaces were removed.
2: The data in the file only includes the first 10 rows of the report (this started happening a few weeks ago on April 6).

Any suggestions? My only thought is to delete my currently scheduled emails and schedule them again, but since I haven't changed anything and they used to work, I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks,
Jared

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Jared I have been in the computer field for a long time back before the days of DOS and CPM back then file names could not contain spaces, while I know that has changed I have always made a practice of not having any spaces in my file names. Some systems can handle spaces some claim they can but dont do a very good job. Your idea of deleting and starting your reports over again is a good one. as for the 10 records before you email the reports set you number of records (rows) to display to a number higher than the actual total of the report and see if that does not give you more data.