Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom report with custom channel grouping as dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I created a custom channel grouping. Now I would like to use it as dimension in a custom report, but it seems impossible. I can choose only the default channel grouping, but I don't want to use that. Modify the default channel grouping is not an option, because in that manner it will apply only on future data, but I need the report with the new channel grouping for old data, so I need it to be retroactive (as the custom channel grouping is). 

Is it just impossible to built a report with a custom channel grouping or am I missing something?

Any advice would be really appreciated! Many thanks!

Anna

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom report with custom channel grouping as dimension

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anna,

Completely agreed – custom channel groupings should definitely be usable as dimensions in custom reports. Unfortunately, it hasn't been implemented in Analytics so far. Note that new channel groupings aren't retroactive. Also the default one - it's just that it has been there already from the beginning.

But what is making me think is what you've said about the default channel grouping. I haven't noticed so far that it's editable. So would that be a possibility to get a custom channel grouping working in custom reports? I mean just editing the default one instead of creating a custom one?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Many thanks for your answer! Unfortunately this is not a solution for me, as that would affect only future data. With the custom channel grouping that I created I can see now my historical data classified according to my new rules, but as I understand from this article https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6010097?hl=en this won't happen if I edit the default one.
It's a pity that is not possible to use custom channel groupings as dimension in custom reports, but anyway this just means that I'll have to do some manual work!
Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Anna,

that's very interesting - take a look at the recent article [1] on the subject that endorses your experience that new channel groupings are retroactive. I've checked a recent custom channel grouping I had set up – you're right it's indeed retroactive. Thanks for pointing me to that.

Even more exciting – at least for new projects – is the opportunity to redefine the default channel grouping and thereby to be able to use that dimension in custom reports.

You made my day!

Christoph

[1] https://www.e-nor.com/blog/google-analytics/understanding-google-analytics-channel-groupings