Analytics
4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom name on Page URL in reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a site created on wix.com. Wix uses complex and non-intuitive URL for pages within the website.

For example, the contact page will not be called www.sitename.com/contact, but will be called something like www.sitename.com//#!contact/cfvg. The names become more complex especially when I've got 21 pages as the site is in two languages. It becomes impossible to recognize in Google Analytics (for example under User Behaviour) what page URL is what actual page on the web site. Even though I have simple 301 Redirects set up for simple URL for each page, these redirect URLs are not the ones used in Analytics.

Is there a way to attribute a name to the page URL in Anylitics so I can name each URL the relevant page name ?

Thank you,

Alexandre

Re: Custom name on Page URL in reports

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
In standard implementation Google Analytics remove everything after "#" sign in url.
It is possible to track these url's but you have to change tracking code.

You must change this line:
ga("send","pageview");
to this:
ga('send', 'pageview', {'page': location.pathname + location.search + location.hash});
in your Google Analytics tracking code.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Tomasz,

Ok, I see. I'll try that.
Thank you for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, so on Wix I can only paste the ID number that starts with UA. So I assume I need to change the code in Google Analytics itself. How do I do that ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Have you got a premium plan on WIX?
If so you can paste entire Google Analytics code:
https://www.wix.com/support/html5/article/adding-your-google-analytics-code-to-your-site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I've got a premium plan.
Wix calls it the tracking code but all they mean is a Tracking ID as you can see here https://www.wix.com/support/html5/article/retrieving-your-google-analytics-code
You can't paste the entire code in WIX, the field is designed for the Tracking ID only...

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I think I have misunderstood your problem.
You can see all this strange URL's in Analytics but you want to simplify them, right?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, exactly. I want to simplify them or give them names.

Otherwise I need to use classic method to have reference document with each strange URL and its corresponding page, and consult that doc every time I'm looking at Analytics.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

In some reports (e.g. Behaviour > Site Content > All Pages) you can use Page Title as a Primary dimension. But in Behavior Flow and other reports there is no way to choose Page Title.
The only way is to configure Search and replace filter but this required a lot of work, because you have to create separate filter for each URL.

search-and-replace.png