Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom events from dataLayer to Data Studio

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good morning, I can't figure out how I can show custom events data. I have hard coded event data, to be sent to the dataLayer. Which works fine, shows up in Google Analytics and I can show this in dashboards.

Can someone help me how to show this data in Data Studio?

Example of what is sent to dataLayer/GTM/GA ->

onclick="dataLayer.push({

'eventCategory': 'Homepage Social Media icons',

'eventAction': 'Social media click',

'eventLabel': 'Twitter|Facebook|LinkedIn|Youtube',

'eventValue': 'undefined',

'event': 'eventPush'});"

Which shows up in GA perfectly:

custom-event-label-data.JPGCustom event label data in GA

But how do I show this in a Data Studio page?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vincent V
June

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You're welcome @Vincent v. Smiley Happy

If you need the list of each event label value(social media names in your case), you can do it with a table. Please do the following:

- Create a table

- Add "Event Label" as "dimension" (You can also assign event action and category if you wish)

- Add "Total Events"(or Unique events or both) as "Metric"

- Add a table filter by creating a new filter as 'include Event Category = Homepage Social Media icons AND include Event Action = Social media click

This will give you list of each social media names that are assigned in event label and total number of events.

I hope this solves your issue!

Regards,

Güney

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Vincent v,

You can create a scorecard with the metric "Total Event" or "Unique Events"(whichever you need) and filter by "event category" "event action" and "event label" dimensions to display only the metric of the specific event.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Guney,

I see and that works. The simple example I gave, shows 'social media clicks' and it will make a list of the different 'values' based on the icon; twitter, facebook, etc. With this Scorecard solution, there is no flexiblity to show all 'social media clicks' in a list, I would have to setup a scorecard for each possible value.

I wonder why Data Studio is set up this way, this part makes custom events very inflexible. Is this something that can be improved? I'll have a look if I can send some feedback to the DS team Smiley Happy

Thanks for you answer Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vincent V
June

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You're welcome @Vincent v. Smiley Happy

If you need the list of each event label value(social media names in your case), you can do it with a table. Please do the following:

- Create a table

- Add "Event Label" as "dimension" (You can also assign event action and category if you wish)

- Add "Total Events"(or Unique events or both) as "Metric"

- Add a table filter by creating a new filter as 'include Event Category = Homepage Social Media icons AND include Event Action = Social media click

This will give you list of each social media names that are assigned in event label and total number of events.

I hope this solves your issue!

Regards,

Güney

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Works like a charm. This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the insight Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You're welcome Smiley Happy