Analytics
3.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Report with Product Performance & Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am new to GA and need help with my report. I have built a custom report that shows Product Performance by Desktop & Mobile/Tablet but the Sessions metric group keeps coming up blank. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you
Jess

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom Report with Product Performance & Sessions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Jessica just taking a wild guess here since I do not see a Dimension or Metric titled Product Performance. If I was creating this report I would choose "Product Revenue" and "Sessions" as a metric and then for my Dimension I would use "Device Category" I would also choose "Explorer" or "Flat Table" as my Type. Can you verify what you used for your Metrics and Dimensions. Also make sure that you did not add any filters to your report. Once you get the basics working you can then go back and add additional metrics and if needed filters.

Re: Custom Report with Product Performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello. I am under the e-commerce section in product performance. Does that help?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
By default you can't select 'Sessions' metric in the product performance report - this is because the product dimension is not a sessions-scoped dimension. The Session count is only associated with the first hit of a session, and that is usually a pageview. The product/ecommerce hits are much later in the session, and so there is no session count associated with the products.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! Is there any way to see how many sessions a product has in any other view? We are trying to understand the conversion rate for specific style numbers.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
It's kind of tedious, but you can create a segment where the sessions include a specific product, then use that segment and look at the standard reports to see the number of sessions in that segment.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Would users work too?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
That question could be interpreted 2 ways, so here are both answers:

If the segment was user-scope, it could include multiple sessions per user.

If the segment was session-scope, it could report the Users count as well. (and pageviews, conversion rate, etc)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Would users work if I am just trying to get a number of visits within a specific time period?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Again, not sure what you mean by 'would users work'. Where? Reporting the users count, or using a segment defined with a users-scope?

Getting the number of 'visits' in a specific time period is simply 'sessions'. The concept of 'users' is different in GA -- a user can have multiple sessions in that time period, so reporting 'users' removes that duplication.