Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimension for 'amount completed'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping you might be able to help me with an issue I've got with some data. I'm looking to track the 'percentage complete' for users that are playing an online game. They have to log-in, and their progress is recorded at all times in the database, but I want to be able to see how much users are engaging with the game.

I've got a custom metric set up and the 'percentage value' is being pushed by the data layer as below:

<script type="text/javascript"> 
     dataLayer = [{
          'amountCompleted' : '100' 
     }];
</script>

The number in 'amountCompleted' represents the percentage a user has completed the game, so 100% in the above example. In analytics I'm getting the figures, but they seem to be cumulative over multiple sessions, so some users are showing 4,032 for the amount completed. Maybe this is an issue with the data layer or the way I've set up the custom metric.

Any idea or solution would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Custom Dimension for 'amount completed'

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

HI, @Josh B

It seems to be a default GA behavior. Custom metrics of integer type are cumulative in the manner like # of page views or events.

Since you're interested in completion rate consider using two metrics: one for available amount and one for completed amount. Then you can add calculated metric as rate = completed / available