Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimension automatically filtered

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am testing custom dimensions which seem very useful. However, if I add them to several pages, but not all in a site, when I use that custom dimension in a custom report, it filters out all pages where the dimension hasn't been given a value. 

'This report has been filtered to include only data where there are values for xxxx dimension.'

I would rather see all pages, with those ones perhaps showing a value of 'not set' or somthing like that. 

Is this possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom Dimension automatically filtered

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Arnold,

I think this is more of a function of the scope of the custom dimension. That is, if you are sending them by the hit, then that is all you are going to see. Even session based, the default and custom reports are going to be filtered out to only show when there is a value passed. If you want to see everything it's best to always pass a value yourself e.g (not set) or something else.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Strange, because I am sure there is an automatic 'not set' for some dimensions : or is this just built in ones ?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arnold Stang
February 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Yes there is an automatic (not set) but those are Google defined dimensions.  It is a little counter-intuitive that they would pass (not set) for their own and not yours but there are use cases where you may not want any values.

For example, referrals don't have keywords so Google will fill in the data gap with (not set) because they have defined the dimension.  For your own custom dimensions, they could have no idea of your own use case and what conditions have to be met to add in a value.  You could even upload your dimension data later via data import so they take a hands off approach.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Theo, that answers it!