Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimension Scope Settings (Hit, Session, User, Product)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I'm seeing some funny reporting results when I use the custom dimensions in a report.  I suspect the issue is related to the Custom Dimension Scope setting.  I had originally set the scope to Users but when I select that dimension in reports it appears as though I'm getting filtered results.  So for example, if I select the custom dimension "Customer" and metric of Sessions, my total # of sessions doesn't match without the dimension.  Should this be set to Hits rather than Users?

Page Source.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John,

storing an email address in Google Analytics is a big no-no and will get you banned.

Please remove e-mail address storage in custom dimension 4 ASAP.

As for your question, you don't need to set a User- or Session- scope custom dimensions with every single page. If the values you want to capture change on every page, you may want to use a hit-based custom dimension.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Julian thank you for the heads up on the email!!!  I will definitely remove it ASAP!!.  I've changed the scope to hit to see if the numbers add up correctly.