Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Channel Groupings using landing pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a range of custom channel groupings based on matching the Landing Page URL to regex expressions. This grouping works fine in the MCF reports but not in the Aquisition -> All Traffic -> Channels report.

An example is:

Rule name: Home Care

Rule: Landing Page URL matches regex  /home-care/[a-z-0-9A-B]+

Can anyone shed any light on this, is it a bug?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Jason,

Hypothetically you should be able to use your custom channel grouping from MCF in compatible Acquisition reports like Overview and Channels. 

Normally I would expect Channels defined by the tagged or system set medium; that said, it should still work.  Are you getting an error message?

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo

I use channel groupings regularly without any problems, but this is the first time I have tried creating groups using landing page.

There is no error message. I copied the default channel groupings and added these groupings at the beginning, all that happens in the aquisition reports is that the landing page channels are skipped over the the visits attributed to the grouping below.

I think it is a bug, but not sure how to report it to Google.

Jason

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Jason,

Got it, so you are reusing the existing channel and modifygint; thereby expecting GA to bucket according to landing page and then remove from consideration as it rolls to the next channel.  I think they may call it a feature because the rest of the default channel group is looking at medium or other system generated flags and you have not defined based upon landing page. 

If you create a new (rather than copy) channel grouping only with landing pages, I expect it would work.

That said if you think it's a bug you can post here:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues?q=componentid:187400%2B

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo

Thank you for your help and advice - I'll give it a go.

Best wishes

Jason