Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Campaigns: Page Titles listed as Campaign URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

We recently started using custom campaigns to track display ads we send out through Terminus. For some reason, when adding a secondary dimension of "Page Title" when viewing the campaign in the campaigns report, the page title is listed as the entire campaign URL rather than the regular page title. I've attached images below to help explain. 

Pasted image at 2017_01_05 09_59 AM.pngCampaign.PNG

Usually the page title should appear as "What Makes a Great Lender?" or "Price Setting Versus Price Getting." That is how page titles appear everywhere else in our analytics account. Any suggestions to correct this issue?

Thanks,

Drew

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew W
January 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ritwik,

I just checked and there are five hits for the correctly titled page coming from India over the last two days. None from the URL. Thinking the issue could definitely be the Terminus test hits. 

View solution in original post

Re: Custom Campaigns: Page Titles listed as Campaign URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Andrew,

I guess the analytics request is working fine (below gif). Can you check the view filters applied, if any. 

Googledoubt1.gif

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ritwik,

The only filters we have on that view (our master view) are IP address filters to weed out internal traffic. 

Drew

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Andrew,

Ok thanks. you are right on the filters part.
Are you getting campaign url as page title for 'When price context is king'? (cause the short url in the screenshot is the same page, while the error I can see on some other pages)

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

are there any setting in your GTM, which changes page title dimension?

What about the normal pages, without campaign. do they have correct titles?

Re: Custom Campaigns: Page Titles listed as Campaign URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There aren't any settings in our GTM account that would change the page title dimension.

All of our other pages, even those on other campaigns, have correct titles. Some even do for this campaign. Here is a screenshot of the "When Pricing Context is King" post showing up both ways from the same campaign. 
Capture.PNG

We got a lot of hits on this campaign fairly quickly, and our assumption was that it was Terminus (the display network) testing the link to make sure it worked. Could those quick test clicks (likely automated) be the reason for the title issue? 

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Andrew,

You may also want to check the hostname for those pages (find those pages in the content report and add hostname as a secondary dimension) to see if they came from an external testing platform that mimicked you site...    GA uses whatever is in window.document.title so if it's happening on your site it could be some other coding that is overwriting it or as AT suggested, could be happening in GTM.

My larger question is why you are using page title as a secondary dimension?   Campaign is a session level dimension and page titles are hit level, I think your data is reliable like this (not always the case when combining hit and session level info) but if you want to dig deeper you can simple create a custom segment for these page titles as landing pages or for the campaign in question.  That should get you to the root of it much more quickly.

More on custom segments here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123951?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Andrew,

I guess that automated test by Terminus might be the reason (not sure though).

Also, I did some tests through my side through the Short URL you provided.
Kindly check if the sessions were from 'INDIA' for the page 'When Pricing Context is King' where the titles are displaying correctly, if they were then the short url is working fine.!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo,

Checked the hostname for those pages like you suggested. It just points to our regular domain. 

I used it as a secondary dimension in the campaign report to see which content visitors were engaging with most from that particular campaign. I didn't think to use a custom segment but I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

The bigger issue with the page title coming in as a url is that it clutters a widget in the "Top Content" dashboard I created. It fragments views for the one page by showing some hits with the "Context is King" page title and some with the long form campaign URL.

If it is just the Terminus test hits then I could just filter those out in the dashboard, but I don't want to hide any real information.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew W
January 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ritwik,

I just checked and there are five hits for the correctly titled page coming from India over the last two days. None from the URL. Thinking the issue could definitely be the Terminus test hits.