Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Campaigns Not Appearing in Reports

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Recently, we started adding Google Analytics campaign parameters when building custom redirects to give ourselves a better indication of social performance and engagement.The links are shortened through Pardot using bit.ly before being posted to social media. We can see the Google Analytics campaign parameters in the URL when we click on our post from LinkedIn or Twitter, but those parameters are not populating in Google Analytics.

Our tracking code is correctly inserted into our site and we can see traffic to the blogs and podcasts from Twitter and LinkedIn if we look in the source/medium report, but nothing is showing up in the campaigns report. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Drew

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Drew,

Make sure you are using values for, at the very least:

utm_source

utm_medium

utm_campaign

You should see the campaign report populate.   Also make sure you don't have any other redirects that are throwing out the parameters.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo,

Here is an example of the URL visitors reach after clicking on the shortened custom redirect: https://precisionlender.com/blog/general/bank-data-ready-ai/?utm_medium=social&utm_content=blog&utm_...

As you can see, the parameters for medium, content, and campaign are there. We are leaving source blank because we are using the same custom redirect for both LinkedIn and Twitter rather than creating two for every blog or podcast we send out. We figured that the source parameter would populate automatically with LinkedIn or Twitter. 

Thanks, 

Drew

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Drew,

Just curious that you in fact are seeing the source as social and if you are able to also pull in campaign as secondary dimension?

You are getting an error too in the JS console..... lastly since you are using GTM you can deploy a classic version of the GA tag to view the campaign data using GA debug.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo,

Some hits for the link appear to be registering with a source of LinkedIn or twitter but with a medium of referral rather than social. Also, the total number when the two sources are added up does not match what we see in Pardot. When I pull in campaign as a secondary dimension they all say (not set). 

I will be sure to show the error to one of our developers. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Do you know where I could see a guide on how to set up the classic GA tag?

I have only been working with GA and TM for two months so I apologize if I don't pick something up right away. 

Thanks,

Drew

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hey Drew,

Since you are using GTM, there are other, numerous causes as well.   E.g. you could have declarations set for setting campaign info (source, medium or campaign) or lookup tables, etc.  That said, I would wait to do anything else until you dev's look at the JS error.  

To temporarily deploy a classic tag, just add a new tag, select Google analytics classic as the tag type and then go ahead and add your UA number (you may want to add a new testing property to your account) add all pages as the trigger and then .. rather than publish select preview and debug and preview the changes.  When you're done testing, delete your tag or abandon the workspace changes (if no other changes were pending).

It sounds complicated but it's not - maybe I'll write a step by step blog post on this topic....

In any event, what this does is expose the campaign information in the JS console when you have the previously mentioned GA debug plugin installed.  It's kind of like real time reporting right in the client.  

Hope that helps...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew W
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Drew,

I've clicked through your twitter and found that some links missed utm_source parameter:

https://precisionlender.com/blog/resources/podcast/podcast-buying-vs-building-technology/?utm_medium...

https://precisionlender.com/blog/resources/podcast/podcast-artificial-intelligence-new-digital-divid...

This could sometime lead to data discrepancy since Analytics has a specific attribution for soical traffic. Try to add this utm_source parameter for your links and check if it works.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo, 

Sent the JS errors listed in the console to our dev team. Hopefully they will be fixed soon. 

I tried the deploying the classic tag in debug mode like you suggested to see the campaign information. That was very interesting to look at. The strange thing is that, even when clicking on our recent post on LinkedIn, the source came through as direct with a medium of none and campaign name of direct despite the URL showing the campaign parameters as we want them to be captured. 

That would explain the low count of social hits we are seeing if they are being counted as direct with no medium for some reason. As I mentioned before, we left the source parameter blank so that GA would auto-fill it rather than us having to create two custom redirects for LinkedIn and Twitter. Could this be causing the problem?

Thanks,

Drew