Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Alerts for individual url's

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking to create a Custom Alert to notify when one of many (millions) of unique URL's receives a spike in traffic.

For example, I am running a product site with 1,000,000 products, each with its own unique URL.  If one individual product (URL) gets a spike in traffic (pageviews), I would like an alert to trigger and let me know which product/URL.

Is this possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Custom Alerts for individual url's

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi NRT,

Well with that many URL's I hope you are on 360/premium otherwise I would expect to see a lot of cardinality in your reports lumping many into (other).   That said, you can set an alert to do this.. in theory... why don't you try something like this:

ss alert for any page.png

EDIT:  The condition for pageviews should be "%increases by more than"... unless you want an absolute number.

And see if that gives you what you want (unless you only want product pages etc. then make the value more specific).

Remeber that insights are coming to GA so they may pull things like this for you automatically.  You could also use the API to construct your own as alerts are only processed once a day so you may miss it while it's happening.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo.

But this seems to send an alert when the entire collection of pages (url's) that match the regex exceeds the "increases by" setting.  In other words, all products together exceeded X sessions so I was alerted.  What I need is to be alerted when just one individual product page matching the regex exceeds X sessions.  Does that make sense?  Any way to configure this?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi NRT,

Since you have so many URL's,  I think the best solution is to use the API and do that yourself programmatically.

If you want to keep in in the interface and just look at it every day to see the top changes by using the absolute sort function int the all pages report.

Or you could create a report in data studio and use the compare setting for the table under teh default date range setting but I think your only choices there are previous period (which I think is same day last week) or previous year.

Hope that helps....

-Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn