Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Cross-Domain tracking: If user visits A then B, will B "see" _Source for A?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

We have Cross Domain tracking for sites A and B.

If the user Visits A with utm_source=Source1 then later visits B, will the visit to B show Source=Source1?

I am thinking the answer is no from preliminary testing, but wanted to confirm.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrAnalogy
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

It depends. If you've added both sites to the referral exclusion list and you've configured cross-domain tracking properly and a user goes from site A to site B through the link, a session will continue and nothing happens. 

In addition, if a user visits site A and 2 hours later he/she goes to site B directly, you'll still see Source1 as a source in Google Analytics.

Basically, if you've implemented cross-domain tracking properly, Google Analytics takes site A and site B as one website.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrAnalogy
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

It depends. If you've added both sites to the referral exclusion list and you've configured cross-domain tracking properly and a user goes from site A to site B through the link, a session will continue and nothing happens. 

In addition, if a user visits site A and 2 hours later he/she goes to site B directly, you'll still see Source1 as a source in Google Analytics.

Basically, if you've implemented cross-domain tracking properly, Google Analytics takes site A and site B as one website.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Re: Cross-Domain tracking: If user visits A then B, will B "see" _Source for A?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks!

Followup:

I do have Sites A & B set up as you mentioned. (They are both in the Referral Exclusion list).

Why do I need (as gAanalytics suggests) to  modify hyper links from A> B and B>A to have the ga identifier?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

What do you mean by that? Haven't seen this kind of suggestions before. Could you share a link or copy this text from the support page? Smiley Happy

Taavi