Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using GTM on two sites, example.com and sub.example.com with different GA account on each.

Traffic that goes from one site to the other is tracked as direct so I can't tell how much traffic is going between the sites.

What should I be doing to correct this?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Cross Domain Tracking

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Yaacov,

First, you don't need cross domain tracking for subdomains.  Normally you would track this in one GA account with filtered views for each and perhaps one view that tracked both (and always one unfiltered view).  Otherwise you would see referrals from one to the next.   If it's not a subdomain (it is in your example) then, for cross domain tracking, you'll need the same GA account for continuity.

If you've added the domains to the referral exclusion list, then you will see the traffic between the sites as direct rather than as referrals.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Cross Domain Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo

Although it is a subdomain it is effectively a separate site which is why we do not have the main GA id on it.

Perhaps I should give you more details to explain the whole situation:

We have:

www.example.com - has ID a

site1.example.com - has ID a plus ID b

site2.example.com - has ID a plus ID c

site3.example.com - has ID a plus ID d

site4.example.com - has ID e

For ID a, I would like to treat all subdomains and the same as one visit. This is not currently how it works. So if a visitor goes from site1 to the main domain it counts as 2 visitors (direct referral)

For ID b,c,d I would like to see each subdomain switch as a referral from the other subdomain. This is working correctly.

For ID e, I would like to see the referral from either the main domain or any other subdomain. This is not working correctly.

If that all makes sense, are you able to explain how to set this all up to work correctly?

Thanks in advance

Cross Domain Tracking

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Yaacov,

This should be very straight forward with GTM using the universal GA template.  ID a should be set with cookie domain to auto and you should see tracking throught the TLD and all SUBS on which the code is deployed.  The others should have rules for where they fire with cookie domains set to only the particular subdomain and you should see exactly what you want, referrals from subdomain on all codes except a unless the user traverses to e.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Cross Domain Tracking

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo, appreciate you taking the time to help.

I am not sure I understand what you mean:

'The others should have rules for where they fire with cookie domains set to only the particular subdomain and you should see exactly what you want

Also, users going from site4 to the main domain are still being reported as direct. The same goes for traffic in the other direction.

I did notice that in each case the link is http which then redirects to https. Could this explain the issue?