Analytics
4.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Creating reports based on pages created within a specific time frame

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm looking to create a custom report or filter for pages that were created in a specific time frame.  Like, for example, I want to only look at pages that were created in April. What would be the best way to go about that?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Creating reports based on pages created within a specific time frame

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Sean B,  do you have a common set of characters that you've assigned to the URls of those April pages? You could create a report, which will include all pages that contain (or do not contain) a certain string of characters.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not really. Are the other methods of identifying these pages outside the URI?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Do they have an "April" date stamp on them? or another common identifier? @Sean B.

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There are date stamps on the pages themselves. Does that work?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OK, you'd have to have used rules editor to setup "content grouping" of pages based on content. But it is not retroactive. So even if you'd group your site content in reporting by month, you can only do that going forward. I believe custom filter fields aren't going to help you either.

(more about why those won't work in your case here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en#rule , and here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853423?hl=en-GB , and here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034380).

So.. Here is what I have in mind, and I may be going a roundabout way about this, but I can't think of a simpler way:

1) do a "site:example.com [insert your site URL] date [this may be 'april' or '/4' " search in google.com - this should give you the URIs of those pages. What platform is your site on btw? Do you have pages stamp automatically? Eyeball these results to exclude pages that talk about April (case studies, mentions of algo updates, etc.).

2) add those URLs you find through search in bulk into "advanced" filter to your report (GA->Behavior->Site Content->All pages); filter the report by adding multiple pages to Only Show -> Page -> Containing -> {Enter page URL you want to see data for} 

OR

download your report into excel and do a "vlookup" to match strings of URI that you found through "site:example.com" search in step #1 above to pull stats for each of the pages that were published in April.

Does this all make sense @Sean B?

Julia Muller,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'll need some time to digest review this, but I think it's feasible. For
the record, our site uses WordPress as its primary platform.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
OK, so WordPress has a setting (if enabled) that stamps every page with a date.

By the way, @Sean B, the description above looks convoluted. But it really is simple to do. If you have multiple pages published in April, copying those URIs into a list will be your most time consuming task.

Let ms know if you have any questions.

Julia Muller,