Analytics
6.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Creating a segment/report for users that visited the blog (ever)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Trying to make a dashboard to view users that have visited the blog at any point in their session. Anybody have an idea of how to do this? Blog is simple domain.com/blog and all blogs do have the word blog in it, however I want to try and get the sessions that the blog wasn't either the landing of exit page. All ideas welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan G
December 2015

Re: Creating a segment/report for users that visited the blog (ever)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ryan,

so you want users that have visited the blog page but not exited or landed there?

Have you tried a session segment where page matches regex /blog/ and exclude landing page matching regex /blog/ and exclude exit page matching regex /blog/

View solution in original post

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

creating a new view for the url would be a good approach.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan G
December 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ryan,

so you want users that have visited the blog page but not exited or landed there?

Have you tried a session segment where page matches regex /blog/ and exclude landing page matching regex /blog/ and exclude exit page matching regex /blog/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm just wanting all users that have visited the blog including ones who landed or exited there. Our problem is that most goal completions happen outside of the blog however we want to understand what users that converted also visited a blog page.

Will making a session segment with page matching /blog/ (RegEx) include sessions that visited a blog page at any time but also track the rest of the session metrics? I had considered things similar to this but was worried it will only look at the blog pages similarly to what a new view with a filter would.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Went and tested the /blog/ segment. Does work and track the goals as intended. Thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, thanks for clearing things up!

Session-based segments filter sessions and all of its page views based on a rule set to the segment. So if you want sessions where a user visited a blog and see what other stuff they did as well you can do it with session based segments.

Session based segments sets a rule where the rule(s) needs to apply within one session.

Does this clear things a little bit?

-Kimmo