AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Create Custom Dimension Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, I would like to consult with you about a desired implementation.

I would like to create a report that shows a custom dimension category (for this example: "Categories"),
and a second dimension that will include sub category with specific related drill down data URLs.

For example: I have this URLs, each one is a dynamic result of a custom dimension setup:

/stringA=1&test=xx&test=xxx
/stringB=1&test=xx&test=xxx
/stringC=1&test=xx&test=xxx

I would like to create a report with custom dimension that will include only the first dynamic part (orange) of this string, so when I add this custom dimension to a report, it will appear in a list like this:

/stringA=1

/stringB=1

/stringC=1

Then when I drill down clicking on any of the sub categories above, I will get all the URLs that contains only that specific dynamic sub category:

/stringA=1 ---> "Pages" Drill down
                        /stringA=1&test=xx&test=xxx
                        /stringA=1&test=yy&test=yyy
                        /stringA=1&test=zz&test=zzz
                        /stringA=1&test=rr&test=rrr

My question is, If I add a second dimension of "Pages" in analytics, will it automatically collect ONLY pages that contains the dynamic sub category parameters, or should I add another custom dimension?

Thanks a lot!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Create Custom Dimension Report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Moria,

I think you don't really need custom dimensions here because your category definition apparently relies on page URLs only. Maybe a better way to accomplish your task is just to set up an Analytics content grouping [1] with a page URL rule set instead.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey, content grouping is not a good solution for me because we have thousand URLs which we cannot group all - and also we're generating more each day.
So i'm looking for a automatic and dynamic solution. That's why I need the custom dimension.

Thanks,
Moria.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That's why it's recommended to use the 'rule set' or 'extraction' methods in Content Grouping - they actually work automatically.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If we create a new page with new parameters each day, then we need to add the code to each page every time. Not sure this can help us.... Smiley Surprised

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
And another thing, I cannot create a regex for the first category I need because I don't always have this /stringA=1 in the same location, so I can't "break" the URL and set a rule to collect a fraction of the URL from every location in the full URL .