Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Create Custom Dimension Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, I would like to consult with you about a desired implementation.

I would like to create a report that shows a custom dimension category (for this example: "Categories"),
and a second dimension that will include sub category with specific related drill down data URLs.

For example: I have this URLs, each one is a dynamic result of a custom dimension setup:

/stringA=1&test=xx&test=xxx
/stringB=1&test=xx&test=xxx
/stringC=1&test=xx&test=xxx

I would like to create a report with custom dimension that will include only the first dynamic part (orange) of this string, so when I add this custom dimension to a report, it will appear in a list like this:

/stringA=1

/stringB=1

/stringC=1

Then when I drill down clicking on any of the sub categories above, I will get all the URLs that contains only that specific dynamic sub category:

/stringA=1 ---> "Pages" Drill down
                        /stringA=1&test=xx&test=xxx
                        /stringA=1&test=yy&test=yyy
                        /stringA=1&test=zz&test=zzz
                        /stringA=1&test=rr&test=rrr

My question is, If I add a second dimension of "Pages" in analytics, will it automatically collect ONLY pages that contains the dynamic sub category parameters, or should I add another custom dimension?

Thanks a lot!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Create Custom Dimension Report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Moria,

I think you don't really need custom dimensions here because your category definition apparently relies on page URLs only. Maybe a better way to accomplish your task is just to set up an Analytics content grouping [1] with a page URL rule set instead.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey, content grouping is not a good solution for me because we have thousand URLs which we cannot group all - and also we're generating more each day.
So i'm looking for a automatic and dynamic solution. That's why I need the custom dimension.

Thanks,
Moria.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That's why it's recommended to use the 'rule set' or 'extraction' methods in Content Grouping - they actually work automatically.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If we create a new page with new parameters each day, then we need to add the code to each page every time. Not sure this can help us.... Smiley Surprised

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
And another thing, I cannot create a regex for the first category I need because I don't always have this /stringA=1 in the same location, so I can't "break" the URL and set a rule to collect a fraction of the URL from every location in the full URL .