Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Count of Sessions vs Users Explained

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a question concerning the count of sessions metric versus users. So in my dashboard I have the following table (important to note, the chart also has a second page)

Schermafbeelding 2017-07-24 om 10.03.19.png

If you look at sessions it's easy to explain that once you add up all the numbers in the table in the column "sessions" you'll get the same sum amount that's listed on top being 874 sessions.

However I don't quite get the users metric in the table and how it relates to the total number of users in the given time period (both the scorecard metrics on top and the table use the same date range of one week).

If you add up all the numbers from the column "users" it won't lead you to the total number on top in the scorecard being 476. So I am wondering how to explain this metric...

Have already looked into a bit with the support site but still don't quite get how this metric works, as in our visitors counted in multiple rows? (so if they have 1 session but then also do another session in the same week, are they counted both in the count of session 1 and count of session 2?)

Hope someone can clarify this for me.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fay v
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Fay,

Your hypothesis is correct.  The count of sessions is a dimension that is incremented on each session for the user.  So if I have my first session in the date range, then I have this as 1.  If it's my second in the date range I'll start with 2.  As I continue to come back to the site, I'll also fall into 3,4,5,6 etc. for how many times I've visited within the date range selected.

So in your example you've had 5 users that have a session count of 10 and they are probably represented in almost every other bucket of 1-9.  I say probably because it's based upon the date range and in your case you have 47 users that had their first session outside of the date range (476 users - 429 for the 1st session).

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, it definitely helps to make it a lot clearer.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Theo,

"you have 47 users that had their first session outside of the date range (476 users - 429 for the 1st session)"

I have not understood this line properly

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I think Theo the simple answer is number 476 is the number of the user who at least have one session in the site

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Soumik,

Yes that is the simple answer.  The 476-429 refers to the total user count of 476, and 429 to users that had a session count of 1 withing the date range.  So of the 476, 429 had their first visit (count of session 1).  I only pointed that out because if can confuse users as they expect all users to have a session count of 1; that is, they expect to see the count of session 1 metric match the total users and this is not always the case as the count of session = 1 for a user may have happened outside the selected date range; and in this case, there were 47 users that fit that profile.

Hope that helps.

-Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo What i understand in simple terms is 429 is the number of users who have only 1 session and probably visited site once.

The rest 47 out of 476 is the users who  visited the website more than once and can be incuded in any bucket 1-10 of session counts multiple times.

Am i right?