Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Content grouping by rule set returning (not set)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am testing content grouping and have created a set of rules that groups using the 'Page' dimension eg

Page contains /sectionone/

I then navigated on my site to a number of pages with /sectionone/ in the url.

I then refreshed my report which has a dimension of this content grouping but it returns (not set).

I know it is picking up new page views as the total number increases but all still show in (not set).

I am doing this in real time, so is it that I need to wait 24 hours for the grouping to be updated in the stats? Not sure, as the number of page views is updating within an hour. Or am I doing something wrong?

Re: Content grouping by rule set returning (not set)

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

As long as configurations are right, we should allow at least 24hrs. for GA to process the data.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Even though the page views is being updated in less than an hour? Are they updated by different processes?

Regards

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
This is a test site only I am accessing, so it is way way below the 200,000 threshhold.

Still not clear why pageviews is being updated by content grouping is not (or, possibly my content grouping is configured wrongly).
I will wait for 24 hours and see if it corrects itself.

Thank you anyway

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I assume you have added the required code on the site too.

http://cutroni.com/blog/2014/01/09/set-google-analytics-content-grouping/
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en

sample:
analytics.js: ga('set', 'contentGroup1', 'Men');
ga.js: _gaq.push(['_setPageGroup', '1', 'Men']);

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
No, I was using the 'rule set' method of content grouping (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en#rule) rather than 'tracking code' as that is easier to change. I believe it should work in the same manner, though.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ah, the statistics are starting to come through now. Clearly it takes a while (although less than 24 hours !)
Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

I'm having the same issue with rule-based content grouping. May I please ask how long it took you for (non-set) to disappear, and then content grouping to be available in the content reports?

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Alexander

I guess as soon as results started appearing in Google Analytics, ie as soon as the hits to pages with the new tracking code added started being included in Analytics results...