Analytics
6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Content grouping based on event action

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I have a website with many documents available to be downloaded across the site. When a document is downloaded the name and file extension is captured as an event action, there are four different file extensions. I would like to create a single graph in a GA dashboard showing the number of downloads per file extension. 

I can easily create one graph per file extension type but I cannot combine them into a single graph without creating a custom dimension or setting up content grouping (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.) 

Since I don't want to go into GTM and make edits unless I need to, is there a way to setup content grouping using event action as the rule?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Content grouping based on event action

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jakob,

There is no way to do a graph like that (timeline) in a GA dashboard as you are limited to two metrics and a filterable dimension.

You should be able to create a bar chart that mimics this and pivot by your download type and filtered by your event downloads; this will get you close to what you want but it all depends on how you have used your category and action, etc.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn