Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Consolidate Traffic History for Changed URL Path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am not finding any definitive information on this so I thought I'd try the community.

Is there a way to consolidate the historical data for two (or more) URLs in Google Analytics if they are in fact referring to the same page?

I have this occurring in several areas, since many urls were cleaned up to be more descriptive. So they are in fact the same page, and we would like to view all the info available together at a glance in traffic reports, as if the url change never occurred. As things are now, old file path/url histories remain, but reflect an immediate drop-off when the url update was made, and the newly updated URL paths are treated as entirely new pages, with no historical data.

thanks

Omar

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Consolidate Traffic History for Changed URL Path

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Omar,

You can use search and replace filters to turn multiple URLs into one. In your case you would need to replace the new paths with the old ones, this is the only way to get new data tracked as the old one. Please check the document below about search and replace filters:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034834?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Consolidate Traffic History for Changed URL Path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the info and link, Arnold!

However, to clarify, I am aiming to get links to the old path pushed to the new one moving forward (through 301 redirects), and track the new path as the primary URL, while also retaining/transferring my historical data from the old one. Would it be possible to achieve this through this method?

I read elsewhere that such retroactive consolidation of url traffic is not allowed in GA, only moving forward:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2479232/combining-content-data-in-google-analytics

Thanks

Omar

Re: Consolidate Traffic History for Changed URL Path

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

That's true, you cannot make changes to the paths retroactively.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital